
History Begins in 1853
Discover the rich past of Mersin Catholic Church

Early Correspondence and Establishment
In 1843, Fr. Francesco of Plaghe (Italy), superior of the Franciscan-Capuchin friars in Cilicia, Lebanon, and Syria, determines that a church is needed to serve the spiritual needs of Catholics in Tarsus. In 1844, Fr. Giuseppe of Genoa arrives in Tarsus and rents a house to establish the first community center. In Mersin, there are only 5 Catholics. In his 1844 correspondence to his superiors, Fr. Giuseppe describes Mersin as a small fishing and farming village of barely a thousand inhabitants, only five of whom are Catholic.

Fr. Antonio and First Settlements
In 1848, Fr. Antonio of Francavilla (Messina, Italy) begins his ministry in Tarsus. He describes Mersin as a prosperous port growing rapidly. In 1853, under French patronage, the decision is made to build a church in Mersin. Fr. Antonio relocates to Mersin in May 1854 and establishes a temporary church and school for boys. As the first pastor of Mersin Catholic Church, Fr. Antonio dies on May 17, 1859, from malaria.

Development and School Establishment
From 1859 to 1863, Fr. Valerio of Druento (Turin) serves the church. From 1863 to 1885, Fr. Luigi of Fumara, a priest with medical training, makes significant contributions to Saint Anthony School. In 1864, funds are collected to purchase a piano for the church; the instrument arrives from France in 1867. In 1868, an Arabic school is opened for children of poor families. In 1874, Fr. Luigi purchases extensive land from the church to the outskirts of the city and designates 2,471 square meters as a Catholic cemetery.

Church Construction and Official Registration
Sultan Abdülmecit issues a decree on September 15, 1855, allowing construction of the church. However, due to bureaucratic obstacles, the decree is not delivered until 1891. On March 26, 1891, the Mufti of Tarsus delivers the decree to Fr. Basilio. On March 11, 1892, the Municipality grants construction permission, and the cornerstone is laid on March 19. Construction, supervised by Fr. Basilio, is completed on May 31, 1898. The church is dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua.

Early 20th Century and Schools
In 1899, a watchhouse is built in the cemetery and a wall is erected around the entire complex. In 1901, Mersin's population is approximately 23,000, with a Christian population of almost 4,000. In 1902, the French consul brings a marble pulpit from Marseille for the church. With the development of Saint Anthony College, three priests from the Marist order arrive. In 1887, Fr. Basilio opens a school for girls, placing it under the direction of the Sisters of the Apparition of St. Joseph of Marseille.

Modernization to Present Day
In 1906, due to political events between Italy and France, French priests (from Lyon) arrive to replace the Italian ones, though Fr. Basilio remains in Mersin. Fr. Barnabé of Nohant oversees the church from 1906 to 1910. Fr. Basilio dies on January 17, 1907, and is buried in the church. In 1907, the boys' school has 120 students and the girls' school, with 10 teachers, has 150 students. Today, the church remains an inseparable part of the city and continues to welcome people of all faiths in Mersin.